With skilled economists, financial experts and forensic accountants using powerful analytical tools we are able to provide valuation and causation evidence in a wide variety of international arbitration cases
We have extensive experience in International Arbitration, including both commercial and investment treaty claims, and have been engaged in some of the most complex and high-profile disputes of recent years. Our experts have provided testimony in all the major international arbitration forums, including ICC, ICSID, LCIA and under UNCITRAL rules. We have dealt with assignments across Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Central Asia, North America and South America.
With skilled economists, financial experts and forensic accountants using powerful analytical tools we are able to provide valuation and causation evidence in a wide variety of international arbitration cases. The cases we have dealt with include Investment Treaty and Commercial arbitrations across a number of industries.
Investment Treaty Arbitration:
- Appointed to provide expert valuation reports and testimony in an investment treaty arbitration claim that involved an oil field in a former Soviet Republic. Major issues on which we provided expertise included country risk and oil price forecasting.
- Valuation of losses borne by a foreign investor as a result of expropriation of a gold and silica concession in Ghana.
- Appointed by the respondent as a valuation expert to examine the level of investment and potential value of an aluminium sector investment in the course of a bilateral investment treaty arbitration involving the government of Azerbaijan. Assessed both the claimant’s damages conclusion and submitted evidence in regard to the respondent’s counterclaim.
- Wrote expert reports and gave testimony in a bilateral investment treaty claim against a Central European State (Saluka Investments B.V. vs. The Czech Republic) and the parallel UNCITRAL counter claim (NPF v Nomura Securities). Advised on the relationship between discriminatory state support given to the major competitors of an unsupported bank and a highly damaging run on deposits at the unsupported bank.
- Appointed to rebut damages valuation evidence put forward by the Claimant’s quantum expert in the course of a bilateral investment treaty case against the Republic of Lithuania (Parkering v Lithuania).
- Appointed as a valuation expert by the claimants in a commercial arbitration. Prepared two expert reports and gave testimony on the losses borne by the claimants as a result of the failure of a luxury goods joint venture.
- Expert testimony on the valuation of losses borne by a foreign investor as a result of expropriation of a mineral-sands mine in The Gambia.
- Damages testimony in the course of an Arbitration dispute that involved allegedly fraudulent misrepresentation by the vendor of an investment in Spain. Presented evidence on the observed impact on the valuation of company shares when announcements of similar events had been made.
- Appointed as an expert and provided evidence concerning economic harm to Argentine energy investments (power generation and gas transportation) in support of a political risks claim brought against Lloyd’s of London.
Energy Sector Arbitration:
- Provided expert valuation evidence and testimony in several related arbitrations, including investment treaty and commercial arbitrations, focusing on the value of a gas pipeline. Addressed particular questions of risk imposed by multiple countries involved.
- Quantum expert report on the valuation of a counter claim against allegations that a failed merger in the oil industry harmed the claimant in Yukos v the former shareholders of Sibneft, one the largest commercial arbitrations in history.
- Valuation of the residual element of a contract covering engineering design work for a LNG plant in the Middle East.
- Damages valuation support for a bilateral investment treaty arbitration involving an electricity transmission investment in Argentina (National Grid vs. The Republic of Argentina).
- Damages valuation support for a bilateral investment treaty arbitration involving a gas distribution investment in Argentina. (CMS Energy v Argentina).